Certificate IV in Academic Preparation Studies
This program is designed to prepare students for University focused academic studies. It can lead to entry into a selection of courses at Curtin University, Edith Cowan University and Murdoch University upon successful completion of the entry requirements. The Certificate IV Academic Preparation Studies is available as a year-length program or as a semester length program begining in Semester 2.
The Certificate IV in Academic Preparation Studies (APS) aims to provide learners with the ability to:
- Apply academic conventions to meet tertiary requirements in a range of subject disciplines.
- Communicate effectively in academic contexts including tutorial, class and lecture groups.
- Implement planning and organisational structures across an academic course of study.
- Confidently undertake academic tasks requiring the use of information technology.
- Apply academic research and investigation skills in a range of subject disciplines.
- Apply knowledge and skills in a range of academic disciplines to complete extended tasks and processes.
These outcomes are consistent with the distinguishing features of a Certificate IV under the Australian Qualifications Framework in that they enable an individual to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of a broad knowledge base incorporating some theoretical concepts.
- Apply solutions to a defined range of unpredictable problems.
- Identify and apply skill and knowledge areas to a wide variety of contexts with depth of study in some areas.
- Identify, analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources.
- Take responsibility for own outputs in relation to specific quality standards.
The Certificate IV in Academic Preparation Studies consists of core and elective modules.
Core Modules (The core modules must be completed)
Tertiary Study Skills
Academic Communication Skills
Students choose at least 3 elective modules from the range on offer. These are listed in the Certificate IV in Academic Preparation Studies Information Booklet above.
Elective Modules (Select three electives from the list below)
Computer Science 4
Human Biology 4
Achievement of the Certificate IV Academic Preparation Studies requires successful completion of:
- Two Core modules.
- Three Elective modules. Where a course is not completed a Statement of Attainment will be issued for any completed modules.
Students enrolling in the Certificate IV in Academic Preparation Studies should have achieved a nationally registered Certificate III course or have literacy and numeracy skills at least equivalent to 22238VIC Certificate III in General Education for Adults or successful completion of WACE Year 11 English and Mathematics or equivalent.
Where students do not have all the required skills. Every effort is made to accommodate requests for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to facilitate entry into the Certificate IV APS from all students who apply for entry. Students will be considered for enrolment into the course based upon their individual circumstances and if course administrators believe they have a reasonable chance of academic success.